As a mother to a teenager with Spina Bifida, it’s hard to even describe the anxiety I feel as I look to my son’s next few years. In the SB world, we know that when children become adults, they face enormous challenges:
- A “care cliff” into an adult healthcare system that is not prepared for them
- Learning to independently manage the complex care of their disability
- Mobility and often learning differences that compound the challenges of living independently
- Trying to find work in a world that sees their challenges before their abilities
That is why I am so excited to tell you about SBAK’s next huge initiative that I believe will be absolutely life-changing for countless people with Spina Bifida across Kentucky. As we celebrate SBAK’s 40th anniversary in 2023, we are also launching an Independence Program that will support teens and adults as they spread their wings.
Here’s just a peek into our plans for this program:
- Helping teens research career paths that suit their strengths, and how to get there
- Outreach to adult healthcare providers across the state to give them the resources they need to give our folks quality care
- A special financial assistance fund focused on making home more accessible.
Here’s the thing. We have set a goal of raising $150,000 over the next three years to fully fund this program. You can be among the FIRST investors to help get us started with a bang! In honor of our upcoming 40th anniversary, we would like to ask you to give $40—or $120, $480, $1,000 or any amount you can to help us launch this life-changing opportunity.
Thank you for your consideration and support,
Chair of the Board
Spina Bifida Association of Kentucky
Click on the DONATE button on this page for donation options. If choosing Network for Good or PayPal Donate, please designate your donation as "Year End Appeal". If choosing Venmo, please enter "Independence Program" as a note.